Benefits of Diatomaceous Earth
We recently discovered this wonderful product when we were discussing ways to combat slugs in the garden. Diatomaceous Earth (DE) came up as a possible solution and when we researched it on-line, we found that it is useful in the garden in many ways but also for humans and animals. As we read and learned more about DE, we decided to try it ourselves and spread the word to others. Read on, you’ll want to get your own supply to try it yourself!
Mother Nature’s Cleanse and Detox
Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth is Mother Nature’s Cleanse and Detox for humans and animals alike, and a powerful, natural, non-toxic pesticide.
Diatomaceous Earth (DE) is the fossilized remains of microscopic shells created by one-celled plants called diatoms. These plants have been part of the earth’s ecology since prehistoric times, inhabit all the waters of the earth, and serve as the basic food for aquatic life, just as grass is the basic food for land animals. These organisms emit lime-carbonate and silica. Scientists refer to these clay-like, chalky remains as diatomite. When the earth is mined, we discover these remains in the form of a thick white siliceous powder similar to talcum powder and flour.
Perma-Guard Food Grade Fossil Shell Flour is pure fresh water Diatomaceous Earth safe for internal and external use, and is of the highest quality available being greater than 99.5% amorphous Silica and less than 1/2% crystalline Silica.
DE is a simple, effective and inexpensive way to get the silica your body needs.
Diatomaceous Earth is an excellent natural source of Silica which has many healing properties and is necessary for calcium absorption. Silica builds collagen and elastin which not only prevents wrinkles but is important in all connective tissues including cartilage, tendons, ligaments and vascular lining. It strengthens the body’s muscle skeletal system preventing injuries and speeding healing of fractures. DE also contains 14 trace minerals – great for humans, animals, plants and soil!
The Benefits of Silica
The benefits of Silica are many. In today’s grains, there is actually a shortage of silica. Years ago, the Silica found in our foodstuffs was adequate, but with modern hybrid foods and toxic, depleted soils only about 1/3 of the Silica needed is supplied in our fruits and vegetables. This is a sad fact given that Silica is such a necessary component for the health of our tendons, cartilage, blood vessels, and bones.
It is also needed for the health and strength of our skin, teeth and nails. Silica also contributes to the health of almost all of our vital organs, including the heart,
liver and lungs.
Some of the many Diatomaceous Earth Benefits
• improved colon health
• regular, healthier bowel movements
• improved nutrient absorption
• improved digestion
• alleviates joint pain
• improved overall energy levels
• regulates blood pressure and cholesterol levels
• detoxifies heavy metals
• removes parasites, worms, heavy metals, toxins, viruses, drug residues and pesticides
• hair and nails are stronger and grow faster
• teeth cleaner and whitener
• stronger teeth and gums
• healthier respiratory tract and less coughing
• less menopause symptoms
• healthier urinary tract
• helps with skin problems and injuries including itching, rashes, abscesses, boils, acne,
psoriasis, callouses, warts, eczemas, burns, frostbite, benign skin sores, insect bites
and bed sores
• metal cleaner and polish
• strong abrasive and inexpensive soft scrub for the shower, sink & faucets
• refreshing face mask and cleanser
• use in facial masks to absorb excess oils
In Europe and Asia, Diatomaceous Earth is used extensively as a health
and beauty product for hair, skin, nails, bones, and joints.
Diatomaceous Earth benefits gardens, pets and other animals similarly to the way it does humans, and it has other uses as well.
Protecting your plants and vegetables is very easy with food grade DE. Fill a shaker container and shake it onto your plants in a thin layer. The powder won’t be effective if it is wet, but when it dries out it will be as deadly if any insect comes in contact with it. DE is very easy to wash off your hands and it won’t damage your plants or you. Another method is to delude the powder in water and then spray it over the plants, then when it dries it will be evenly dispersed over the surface of your garden plants.
When DE is used as a pesticide and the powder touches the bugs, it scrapes the insects’ waxy outer layer. Then very quickly the insects lose their capacity to hold moisture, causing the insect to actually dry out. This dehydration process is extremely effective leaving no way for any pests to develop immunity (like some unsafe and toxic chemical products).
The other amazing thing is that DE will not harm warm-blooded animals or earthworms. Earthworm farmers use it to treat their worm beds for parasites, fungus gnat larva etc. Earth worms are structurally different from insects in that they can actually digest particles of DE which are then eliminated in their castings.
Instructions for Daily DE Use
Food Grade Fossil Shell Flour DE has excellent health benefits for humans and animals. It is approved in Canada by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency and in the US by the USDA for use in agriculture as an inert carrier or anti-caking agent in feeds in an amount not to exceed 2% of the total diet.
Adults – 1 heaping teaspoon stirred in a cup of water, juice or smoothie daily
(increase gradually to 1 to 2 heaping tablespoons daily)
Children – half to 1 teaspoon daily
Dogs – very small – 1/2 teaspoon daily
< 50 lbs – 2 teaspoons daily
> 50 lbs – 1 tablespoon daily
> 100 lbs – 2 tablespoons daily
Cats – half to 1 teaspoon daily
Kittens – 1/4 to half teaspoon daily
Beef/Dairy Cattle/Bison – 2% of total weight of dry ration
Calf – 4 grams in morning milk per calf
Horses – 2% in daily ration (1/2 – 1 cup)
Chickens – up to 5% in feed
Hogs – 2% of weight in feed ration
Sheep/Goats – up to 2% in ground grains
Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth, Fresh Water Fossil Shell Flour…
Safe for us, our pets and our environment!
Other Diatomaceous Earth Uses
• As a barrier to controlling adult flea beetles, sawfly, coddling moth, twig borer, thrips,
mites cockroach, slugs, snails aphids, thrips, earwigs, silverfish, and ants.
• Can be used for bedbugs, cabbage root flies,carrot root flies, fleas, pill bugs, ticks and
is helpful in dealing with fungus gnats.
• Carpet Beetles: Thoroughly dust along baseboards, carpet edges, under furniture
carpet, and rugs, and in closets and shelving.
• Bedbugs: Take apart bed and dust joints and channels. Dust any hollow tubing and
the interior framework plus the mattress and all cracks in the room.
• Fleas: Thoroughly dust carpets and pet’s bedding and sleeping areas, as well
as cracks and baseboards. It also can be rubbed into pet fur.
• Thoroughly dust areas where flies frequent (walls, straw bedding, pens)
It also can be applied to livestock coat as an insect repellent/contact insecticide.
• Keeps fly larvae from developing in manure, which makes a significant
reduction in the fly population.
Rubbing DE on animal coats will ward off fleas and ticks and given internally, it is an excellent de-wormer. When you feed DE to your cat or dog by mixing it into their food, it will completely eliminate any worms or internal parasites. Use it sparingly over about 14 to 30 days, not exceeding 2% of the pet’s total diet. Diatomaceous Earth can also be added to kitty litter and pet carriers to reduce odors.
Indoor and outdoor application: sprinkle a light layer of DE in areas where pests frequent including under stoves, cabinets, sinks, garbage cans, window and door frames and sills, entrance ways, sewer pipes and drains, and in cracks and crevices. Repeat treatment as needed.
What veterinarians, researchers, integrated pest management, and users of quality Diatomaceaous Earth report:
• improved digestion for all mammals. Absorbs viruses and bacteria – passes them
through the body.
• improves bone structure
• gives hair more body and shiny appearance
• absorbent and useful for spill clean-up. The U.S. Center for Disease Control
recommends it to clean up toxic liquid spills.
• beneficial as a soil additive
• stops animals from licking holes, chewing fence posts, cows from eating dirt.
• with feed for chickens and turkeys – makes shells harder, reduced mortality rate
reduces odors, dries droppings quickly, reduces fly hatch.
• as a barrier against slugs and snails.
• to remove odors – shake on manure, urine, vomit, or spills to absorb
odors and moisture
• reduces moisture and odors in barns, stalls, coops, kennel, litter boxes,
compost piles, and other moist areas.
• as a feed additive for all mammals: reduces the smell of manure and fly hatch.
• reduce vet bills up to 75%
• added at a rate of 2% to pet food in the bag or bin to prevent feed from
getting stale or moldy
• kills many bugs by dehydration-environmentally safe
• use to dust animal / pet and bedding
• decreased mastitis
• mix into soil for a soil conditioner. Will retain over 6 times its weight in moisture
and will release it as the plants need it. It may also help with nematodes.
• on lawns, will retain moisture, prevent drought damage, adds nitrogen to soil
• dust the ground where you intend to place your tent and camp area
• converts feed better, aiding digestion
• better coat and hoof condition
• promotes shinier coats
• better overall health and reduced animal stress
• natural de-wormer – eliminates many parasites without chemicals
• safe, non-toxic, parasites don’t build immunity
• helps detox heavy metals, E coli, bacteria, viruses
• natural digestive aid and colon cleanser
• eliminates pest problems in stored grains and dry products
• reduces flies, fleas, and ticks and manure odor
• reduction in dis-ease and vet bills
• safe and cost effective
Information collected for this post was summarized from the following
internet resources… please explore on-line resources and videos to understand more about Diatomaceous Earth and reward yourself by adding it to your lifestyle!
Google Diatomaceous Earth
Watch YouTube videos about Diatomaceous Earth
The popularity of Diatomaceous Earth is the result of word-of-mouth testimonials from people who use it that are very enthusiastic about the results they have experienced!
We are also enjoying the benefits of DE, and feel inspired to share the magic of this wonderful blessing with others.
• Save Time • Save Money • Save Travel …
Buy in Bulk and use it every day!
1/2 lb. $3.00 1 lb. $5.00
** Larger quantities available upon request
Please contact us by email or phone to order and arrange for pick up
email@example.com or Diana and David at 250-733-2635
Benefits of Seaweed
We harvest fresh seaweed regularly from Cherry Point Beach in Cobble Hill and apply it to our garden beds. We believe applying seaweed significantly improves the yield and size of our garlic, and we also use it as a layer when we build lasagna beds, a perfect rich and fresh nitrogen layer. Amazing fresh goodness from Mother Nature loaded with minerals.
Learning is such fun! I’ve been inspired to do some research about Seaweed and I discovered that there are so many benefits for humans, animals and gardens, just like Diatomaceous Earth (did you read the info about DE? click the tab and learn more).
Here are some links to articles and postings that I reviewed and found very inspiring… I have dried various types of seaweed that we harvested and intend to grind it up for a powder for smoothies and also will use the dried whole bits for soup.
Please share the good news about how beneficial and wonderful seaweed is… and try it for yourself! I’m looking forward to experimenting with seaweed and making new recipes and sauces that feature this wonderful ingredient.
Happy Seaweed Harvesting!